Saturday, September 19, 2015

Kashmir Great Lakes Trek - As it happened - Day 6


Day 6 - Gangbal to Naranag and back to Srinagar - The last day of the trek

5, 6, 7 schedule. Today we don't have to unpitch our tents. This is because the group which is staying back will take care of this. Bags packed, group pictures taken, thanked all the members of India Hikes. An emotional morning. Yes we know that we will miss this place. This group. But that is life.

This could be the last day of the trek, but noone said it is the easiest day! It starts with crossing a narrow little bridge/ plank across a river (Or may be a large stream. I'm not very sure.) But there is a queue to cross. A queue of sheeps and then us. Here is the picture taken by Swaraj.



As we queue behind the sheeps and their shepherd, I spot this baby lamb! Cute little lamb! I really want to grab it but the guardian dog behind it does not allow anyone to approach the lamb. We came to know from the shepherd that the lamb is just 5 days old! Which means it was born when we started this trek! Amazing! Itsy-bitsy lamb. Super cute!




We walk past some beautiful meadows. Clicking pictures, trying to absorb as much as our eyes could. Each one of us is in love with this beautiful valley, these mountains. I have heard that doing a mountain trek can change your perspective towards life. It can help you find answers to many questions in life. This could be true. Yes I did this trek just for fun, but may be for someone who is looking for answers in life, this trek might have helped.





We walk through the meadows and pine forests for hours. Civilization is just few miles away.




Meanwhile, Farooq bhai who is our trek leader/ guide for the day mentioned that we will soon reach a dhabha where we can have some food. This is one thing which is keeping us going. Everytime we asked him how far the dhabha is, his answer is - it is 5-10mins from now. The '5-10 mins' has been happening for quite a while now and already it is more than an hour. There is no sight of the dhabha.

The day is not easy like we expected. The sun is hitting hard on us. I can feel the sunburns. I am getting drained out. Feeling very very exhausted. The day is turning out to be more challenging than the previous days! This was not the expectation! Very soon we start into steep descents. Slippery ones. Very dry and dusty. But the hope to see the dhabha keeps us going. After hours of long walk, we see THE DHABHA!



The tea and the noodles served here taste like exotic dishes due to our extreme hunger levels! Some of us get mobile signals here. First feel of digital world after a week.

We resume our trek really quick. This descent was no less than an ordeal. The trail was really steep and very dusty and slippery. My both knees start hurting a lot. My energy getting drained out. Farooq bhai comes to my rescue. He takes me through a shortcut which is helpful in one way and in another way hurting my knees more as the shortcut is steeper. But I have no choice. We descent and descent and descent for hours. Many times I slip and fall. My feet moves like a robot. I'm not in my control. That is the level of my exhaustion.

At around 2:45 pm, with great assistance from Farooq bhai, I reach the base point at Naranag! Yes I completed the KGL trek! Time to forget all the pain and just rejoice! With every muscle in the body breaking and hurting I feel so happy and satisfied for successfully completing the trek. Yes, I'm proud of myself.

All of us have a quick lunch and head towards Srinagar. Within few hours we reach Srinagar where we get into our respective house boats. The next day there is a strike in Srinagar as a protest against the beef ban. There is only one agenda for all - relax.



This trek has taught me to appreciate small things in life. My house feels so much more luxurious now than ever. A bed to sleep feels like something precious. A simple shower never felt so good. Overall, this trek taught that life can come in a bag. You really do not need a lot to enjoy life if you have health and the right people. Yes, I will return to the mountains with a better stamina. Health is wealth and this trek proved it.  I will think twice before I complain about minor things in life. World will not come to and end if kaamwaali-bhai (maid) doesn't turn up for one day. World will not come to an end if that beige color dress which I was eyeing for a long time went out of stock in the mall.

Mountains did not teach me how to be lazy, they taught me to appreciate simple things around me. They teach you to be humble. Ego melts down. Can't believe I learnt so much in this one week.

So what is that which makes us go for high altitudes? Why take such high risks with the mountains? So this is my experience. The mountains stand tall roaring at us. You cannot tame them. All you can do is strike a deal with them. Pretty much everything about mountains is unpredictable. So it gives you that high-octane experience with adrenaline rushing through your body. There is a slight chance of losing sanity while going for extreme adventures. There is also a chance for calamities. But it is your choice. You chose it and go for it. That is the fun of being adventurous.

Here is the crew from India Hikes. Pictures taken by Adithya/Deepak.

Dushyant - Our Leader


 Farooq bhai - Djokovic look-alike


Javed bhai - Guiding us all the way


Ravi - The cowboy


Mountain's child Shravan bhai with Javed bhai


Making some noise in the kitchen - Mumtaz aka Ratta



Someone rightly said, it is the journey that matters more than the destination. See my journey in the form of a video. Keep your speakers on for a better experience.

https://studio.stupeflix.com/v/RukArfTkjTPk/

10 comments:

  1. Very nicely documented Anjana . Thanks for sharing your learning about *life can come in a bag*. Hope to see you all again in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Surely will make it for another one! May be the Everest Base Camp expedition.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Awesome Anj ... Really well written. You have inspired me to go for such a mesmerizing journey sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful : Reading this am still a beginner .. Miles to go....

    ReplyDelete